Indigenous student support services

Two students in front of the Curtin library

At the Centre for Aboriginal Studies (CAS), you’ll have access to all the study support and personal support available to Curtin students, and CAS will provide culturally appropriate support services and a base on campus for you to feel at home.

For assistance or enquiries, please contact

ABSTUDY financial support

As an Indigenous student, you may be eligible for ABSTUDY payments from the government to help support you while you study. ABSTUDY can help you with your costs for education, accommodation, living, travel expenses and prescription medicines.

Learn more about ABSTUDY at the Australian Government Department of Human Services website.

Academic tutoring

The Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme (ITAS) is a student-driven tutoring program to help you with your study and prepare for your assignments. Tutoring can help increase your understanding of concepts, build your study skills and boost your confidence. The one-on-one setting also allows you to focus on overcoming any problem areas you might have, paving the way for you to succeed at university.

Am I eligible?

You will need to meet the following criteria to be eligible for tutoring:

  • You must be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent,
  • Be enrolled in either a Curtin Enabling course or an Undergraduate award level course (e.g., Bachelor, Associate or Honours) offered at Curtin University.
  • Masters or PhD students are not eligible for ITAS unless they have a CAPS plan (Curtin Access Plan).

How many hours of tutoring can I have each week?

You can be eligible for 2 hours tutoring per week for each unit you are studying.

Can I select my own tutor?

Yes, you can nominate a tutor from our database of qualified tutors.

How do I apply?

You can download and complete the application form below:

Download form

Or, you can collect a form from the ITAS Officer located in the Student Services area in the Centre for Aboriginal Studies (Building 211), call 9266 7091, or email

You must complete a new form at the start of each semester.

For more information, please read the ITAS Student Guidelines or contact the Centre for Aboriginal Studies.


How do I become a tutor?

If you are registering as a Tutor please download, read and complete these forms:

Learn more about ITAS.

Counselling services

If you have personal issues that arise during your study, you can see our on-site Aboriginal psychologist for free at Curtin.
Joyleen Koolmatrie provides a professional, confidential and safe space to talk.
Please contact: 9266 7850

Learn more about counselling.

Medical services

Curtin has a medical centre on the Bentley Campus where you can visit doctors and receive medical services.

Learn more about the Curtin Medical Centre.

Indigenous Department at the Student Guild

The Curtin Student Guild represents and advocates for students at Curtin, and it has an Indigenous Department Officer to make sure Indigenous students are well represented and supported. The Guild also collaborates with CAS on student events.


Scholarships can help pay some of your fees or expenses when you’re studying. There’s a range of scholarships available for future and current CAS students as well as Indigenous students studying in other areas of Curtin.

You can search all scholarships, or learn about Commonwealth scholarships available to Indigenous students.

To chat about your scholarship options, contact the Curtin Scholarships Office.

Student employment opportunities

Curtin’s Aboriginal Student Placement Program (ASPP) is an excellent opportunity to get an insider’s experience in the heart of the University. The program runs year-round and there is a variety of casual, part-time and full-time roles available across different areas of Curtin.

The program will help to build your professional skill set and allow you to make valuable career decisions. Submit your expression of interest through the Aboriginal Student Placement Program. Contact for more information.